What do Chinese-language microblog users do with Baidu Baike and Chinese Wikipedia?

What do Chinese-language microblog users do with Baidu Baike and Chinese Wikipedia? To answer this, I have conducted a case study of information engagement based on more than 40,000 microblog posts provided by the WeiboScope (University of Hong Kong) and the DiscoverText-Weibo dataset (Texifter.com). If I manage to secure travel funding for the Opensym 2014, I will present the findings this year in Berlin.

Abstract

This paper presents a case study of information engagement based on a content analysis of microblog posts gathered from Sina Weibo and Twitter that mentioned the major two Chinese-language user-generated encyclopedias. It is found that microblog users not only engage public discussions by using and citing both encyclopedias, but also shared their perceptions and experiences more generally with various online platforms and China’s filtering/censorship regime that process user-generated content and activities. The exploratory study thus raises several research and practice questions regarding the important links between public discussions and information engagement on user-generated platforms.

Full text (pre-proof version accepted for presentation at Opensym 2014)

Please note that further revisions are expected to incorporate reviewer comments.

The full text of the paper can be downloaded from the slide sharing website here: http://www.slideshare.net/hantengliao/opensym2014-submission-45

Acknowledgments

I acknowledge the WeiboScope research team and Dr. Fu, King Wa at the Journalism and Media Studies Centre, The University of Hong Kong for the provision of the WeiboScope dataset. I also acknowledge the Texifter.com for their offer of trial use of the DiscoverText-Weibo dataset.

My thanks also to the reviewers and organizers of the OpenSym (WikiSym) 2014.

Comments (choose your preferred platforms)

Loading Facebook Comments ...